View Single Post
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 06:45 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Charles Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowler_Man View Post
Someone tried holding a rally there before, it failed
I think failed is not quite true. The CTPC held three annual rallies there in the late 60's. The lure of permanent toilets,hard access roads,turnstile entrances at the pay gate, and, yes a public telephone box was, attractive. The first two events were good. However the third event was ruined by heavy rain and reinstatement costs were astronomical. The club could not afford to go back there.

Permanent sites such as this and Stithians have many advantages but the greatest disadvantage is that the show cannot be set out the way it should be. At the latter engines are not allowed on the areas where they should be- either side of the entrance gate. There is no room for the working section to be in the same area as the engine park and the enginemens camping area is in the middle of the show!

It is easy to forget that the previous field used by WESES at Tywarnhayle farm was much more weather friendly; the land had not been worked over for years and was much harder. I recall driving engines through puddles of water getting to the parade ring.However the policy of allowing the rally to be overcome by hundreds of non steam vehicles dictated a move to the larger field which had been worked over annually for many years.Even in dry weather this field was soft, one year when we had our ploughing engines working there I found the Fowler making heavy weather of pulling the cultivator out of the field in big wheel at the end of the day.The wheels were leaving ruts 3 or 4inches deep in the unworked part of the field.As I knew there was a move afoot to move the rally into this field I reported this fact but it fell on deaf ears.

Charlie D