View Single Post
  #59  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th April 2010, 01:13 PM
Engineer

Full Name: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
Ian, the thinktank thoroughly impressed me, the interesting stuff is still there. I;ve seen loads of Burrell tractors and aveling rollers to live without them...
Perhaps I will one day, but I suspect I'll still hold fond memories of the old Science museum. I was led to believe the number of stationary engines running on display was much reduced, and hearing the comments of one or two other people after it first opened didn't really inspire me.

Another 'benefit' of the old museum was admission by donation, I could pop in just to go to the cafe without having to pay the 'Thinktank' £11.75 admission for the whole lot. Perhaps I have Yorkshire tendancies, but I suspect they had more money out of me on sticky buns every couple of weeks than if there was an admission charge which I'd probably have paid once to look round and then not return.

One place well worth a visit is the Jewellery Quarter Museum, - at least it was 10 years ago when I went. I see it has free admission these days, but even when there was an admission charge it was excellent value for money.