View Single Post
  #53  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd April 2010, 09:22 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Danny Fleming

There is a huge difference in cost between buying and restoring an engine. i have no doubt that Mr Cushing and probably the current management would love to see the collection in steam but restoring dozens of engines is probably beyond the museum financially as it is with many independent owners. the only people who are able to restore engines at any speed are those owners who are fortunate to be able to write the restorations off against a business or have a wonderfully healthy bank account. It is not our place to comment on what they choose to do with their toys. if i had been around in the 50's and 60's and had the money i too would have collected as many engines as possible; and those engines would probably be in a similar condition to many of those at thursford. money talks and more people visit Thursford to see and hear the organs and the dancing than the engines, it is a sad truth of economics.

Such is life..... and yes i would love to see the engines in steam, or have the opportunity to buy one to restore, but thats the game isnt it!

Arent opinions great!!

Danny