View Single Post
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th July 2016, 12:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Paul Kemp

Ashley,

Go for the largest and most rigid machine you can fit in. I am really stuffed for space and I bought a micro mill (vertical sq column which tilts). When I did my 4" RP I managed to mill the cylinder block flange on it but it was really well outside the machines proper capacity and I had to take baby cuts, but it did get the job done. I have just done most of the operations on the body casting of the water pump for my 6" LS (going to post some pictures in the next week or so if I get time) but again it needed careful planning and light cuts.

Thus, I would go for a vertical machine, try for 3 T slots in the table with a decent table travel X and Y. Look at the spindle travel, distance of spindle from the column and maximum distance from spindle nose to table. What looks generous can very quickly be eaten up by collet chuck and then putting a vice or worse a rotary table on the table. I have been looking at Warco milling machines for my next one, they seem to be reasonably heavily built with a reasonable spec for the £'s.

Paul.