View Single Post
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th September 2023, 11:50 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

I admit that the drawing from MERL is in pretty poor condition , but as far as I remember most dimensions are decipherable, with difficulty and a bit of guesswork . The layout will be confusing , because Fowlers crowded all the governor components onto one sheet .
On the compounds the axis for the valve is horizontal , while that for the rotating assembly is vertical , and there is a rocker turning the action through 90 degs. I believe that there is also a bronze spring in the assembly in the cylinder . If this is on the drawing , then it is missing the details which you would need to renew it . Failure of this spring helped give Fowler governors a poor name .
The single cylinder assembly had a 180 deg leaf spring , for which we have a drawing and an example . These corrode , and can suffer trauma . On my engine the rotating assembly had been thieved , leaving the valve intact in the cylinder . With a new assembly fitted the engine will drive around a field quite steadily on the governor , so they do govern pretty well .

Anyone fancying trying their hand at traditional draughtsmanship could do a good service if they redrew the MERL drawing .