Thread: Car pipe holder
View Single Post
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2020, 03:03 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Bowden

Why have something made? Half of the fun is in having a rummage around in shops looking in obscure corners for whatever you want. For example, I decided to complete a set of GWR Books for Boys of all ages published by the Great Western Railway in the 1920's and reprinted by Patrick Stephens Ltd i the 1970's. There are nine books in the series. The first one I bought was in 1972 and then I was given three original copies. Bit by bit I completed my collection until I bought the final volume in around 2004, some 32 years later!. I enjoyed mooching around various bookshops looking for the missing books in my collection. Recently, I wanted to acquire the three books by Mc. Dermott, Clinker and Nock about the history of the GWR published by Ian Allan. One set on Ebay was advertised at £460.00, I spent two or three evenings combing ebay and I managed to acquire all three volumes as harbacks and in very good condition complete wit dust covers from three different sources for a grand total of £28.00. The harder the quest the more fun that it is. I wanted a copy of "The Brunel's Father & Son" written by Brunel's Grandaughter, Celia Brunel Noble. This was published in 1938 and during the Blitz the publisher was bombed and the manuscript destroyed. I did a worldwide booksearch and I found just 5 copies in existence and I bought the best of the bunch for £38.00 which incidentally, is the most that I have ever paid for one individual book.