Thread: foster wheels
View Single Post
  #38  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st November 2013, 05:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Marriott

Quote:
Originally Posted by General C.R Dewet View Post
I don't disagree with your valuation at all, and many times I have thought I would be better putting a match to it ! That said, I got it and a Corbett's corn mill, which is what I was after for £150. Since then it has cost me a fortune, but surely this is what this hobby of "restoration" is all about. It costs me a small fortune to run the engine every year, why should this box be different? Back in the day they were as important and as valuable as each other to the owner.

My box has local history to where I live, and being only 42" is getting pretty rare. As my friend in the village said to me when I got it, "they ain't making any more, and everyone gone makes the others more valuable". I know it's going to cost me far more than its worth, but next year when I thrash with it for the first time, I know that all the cost will be worthwhile, as I know I will have saved a bit of agricultural history for the next generation to enjoy !

And if I make any bread from the wheat, I can always claim that this is the most expensive loaf ever made, and possibly get a contract supplying Harrods !
you may quip about harrods but our pigs have found their way there, and by default harrods are supporting using a drum and steamer by doing so, the pigs get fed meal from the marris widgeon we thrashed out here....