View Single Post
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th July 2009, 09:39 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner View Post
The ' Burrell Tractor Conversion ' is an interesting story , as told to me by the owner .

He tells me that this was an unsold 7.1/4 ton double crank tractor , which Burrells converted to a SC roller in order to get a sale to a local Norfolk council . It still has the winding drum and the footplate diff lock . I seem to remember that the number is 4083 which would be about 1927 , when Burrells were lucky to sell anything to anyone .

It is now very nearly a SC Burrell ' Irish ' traction engine , and certainly something which Burrells might well have made out of the 7.1/4 ton tractor / 10 ton roller / Irish engine kits of parts . One must bear in mind that at times Burrells seemed scarcely able to make two engines alike , or to decide on what a certain ' model ' of engine consisted of .
Theres no doubt it's based on an 8 ton roller, which would make it smaller than an Irish engine. The Irish engine has the same boiler diameter as the 10ton rollers.
Whatever it is, it's a pretty looking engine, do you know when it was changed from a roller?