View Single Post
  #36  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:23 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Scottish Jo

I think for me it's nice to see this stuff going on at rallies but as Martin said there needs to be a limit. this could have ended very badly for the driver and crowd and then we would ALL be penalized for it.
I've watched the video over and over and it's the way the belt is almost suspended in mid air then gets whipped back into the flywheel.
I was wondering if some sort of catching arm could be employed and be placed through the space in the belt nearer the dyno to catch the belt if it were to fall off.
Governors should also be used, can i ask if the engine would have stopped or slowed faster using the governor to shut off steam than the human response time of the driver to get it into mid gear and shut the regulator?

A comment above about coal being unloaded behind the fly wheel is very valid! this should not have happened and imagine the state that guy would have been in if he was there at that moment!

At the end of the day the limit needs to be set and it adhered to. It's great fun seeing this stuff and it's good for engine owners and public to see but we certainly need to be safe and not see this sort of accident again.