View Single Post
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th November 2010, 09:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Bloor

I'm sure there are people on here smiling at two old men remembering 'the good old days'.

There is no better table than the old farmhouse kitchen at the end of a succesful harvest. A massive kitchen with a slab floor, a table made from 4 inch thick wood and festooned with a massive ham, cheese, pickles, bread and scones. Tea that is impossible to re-create outside of the farmhouse. The farmers wife, arms like a Welsh full back, smiling widely as she watched us all eat. And afterwards, the farmer lining us up in a row; 9 shillings for me for two weeks work as I was 'just a nipper but a good worker'. 3 pounds for my dad, 18 shillings for my older brothers and so on.

A week later, the farmer came round with a bag of potatoes for all the families that had helped in the harvest.

I don't know if those days were better but I try to re-create them in my older age. I bake bread, cakes, make pickles, jams and chutneys. I try to grow as much as I can in my small garden, I buy milk straight from the cow at a local farm and know the lambs, cows and turkeys the farmer sells at the door. If it makes a difference, I will invite you all to my 80th birthday, if not I can at least say that it wasn't Macdonalds or Burger King that finished me off