Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   For-Sale Adverts (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   9" Leyland waggon (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=46136)

JamesLit 10th April 2020 04:46 PM

9" Leyland waggon

My 9" Leyland waggon is for sale.

Unfortunately plans to have the boiler tested last month were of course buggered up by this delightful situation we all find ourselves in, but the hydraulic is valid to October this year.

Visually it looks quite acceptably Leyland, but it is not an actual "model" of one. The body etc is designed with the Leyland in mind, however the boiler is an original Merryweather Valiant, and the engine is an 1890s Locomobile steam car engine. Weighing around a ton, it can be pretty sprightly. The boiler steams incredibly well.

The boiler has a modern written scheme made up for it, and had a huge amount of work done in recent times including brand new firebox (always a concern with these hard-worked Merryweathers, so reassuring to know it's fresh), and a superheater fitted as well! It's off the pin before I even put coal in it. It's a flared type ashpan, and with 3 notches on the door handle rest at the front as well as a home fire style rotatable whirligig in the door, so you have very fine control over damper air - but only when stationary!

The engine is mounted below the driver's seat. The seat is a bench seat across the width of the waggon, providing space for a driver and fireman with a couple of bags in between. The seat is split into 4 sections - 2 pieces on each side. They remove by hand, allowing for instant access to the engine for lubrication of moving parts. For the cylinders, a displacement lubricator is fitted. Currently the engine is set up with only forward, neutral and reverse options, with no other cutoff settings, as per a steam car. Drive is by chain from the engine which then turns a prop shaft to the rear axle.

The regulator is pretty centrally positioned, allowing for your choice of crewing - driver and fireman, or steersman and driver.

A handbrake is fitted which requires fettling but does work. Hydraulic brakes are fitted to the rear axle but will need bleeding - though it's all there and does work when bled.

For water, a bypass pump is fitted, but not of the sort you'd expect - yes, it is driven by the motion of the engine, regardless of whether the waggon is moving or which direction the engine is running in, and it's double gang to boot, but it's a modern mechanical pump that's pretty bombproof and very simple. Secondly you also have a hand pump fitted, which is also double gang. There is no injector fitted at the moment, but there is a steam valve already fitted for one - I would recommend having one for road use. To help spread out the weight of this heffalump, the water tank is mounted right at the back, and can store 150L approx. I also have an enormous collection of 25L plastic containers for it.

On the front of the boiler you have a couple of very handy taps that are the perfect size to stick a hose in to put water into the boiler when preparing to light up. They are nice and out of the way of any prying hands so can't be knocked by accident.

I have a 50% deposit paid (£625) of the £1250 cost to have body sides and a rear flap fitted to the flat bed - that's all materials, labour, painting and fitting. I would transfer this to you for £500, requiring you to then pay £625 directly to the carpenter, who can carry out the work here before the waggon leaves the premises. No costs would be requested by me for it to remain here for the duration, which he estimates to be 3 days' work. Further storage would not be charged, as I can understand moving it will be difficult during these challenging times.

I feel that around up to £1000 of work and materials etc would be required (other than the body sides) to get it up to snuff, but for those with a more capable workshop and some willing helpers I am very sure that would be less. I would recommend fitting an injector, as well as other sundry work relating to pipework, fittings and other minor imperfections. I have purchased new heat proof paint for repainting the boiler and chimney (detachable) which would be included, as well as an unopened tin of SteamSeal, etc.

Although not ready to rally, due to fettling, it's essentially a complete rally outfit, with extras on top.

A complete, spare engine is included, in part form, I seem to remember it's a Lykamobile. There is a blanking plate for the boiler, a 5L tin of 680T oil, and 10L of universal steam oil; 2 oil cans; a shovel; poker; rake. Also there is a virtually full (not even 1L used) 25L container of kerosene for lighting up and for a kerosene heater for the winter, which is also included. Also numerous bags of coal - both house coal and 'wildfire' which is an excellent quality hybrid fuel that I have used with great success. Rags, etc, and a small unopened tin of Peek, as well as the aforementioned unopened tin of SteamSeal and unopened tin of heatproof paint - will even give you the unused brushes.

Lastly it has a folder full of invoices, drawings, sketches, and various bits of paperwork relating to its design and construction, as well as photos, correspondence, the full written scheme drawn up in the mid 90s.

With fettling, this could provide immense enjoyment as a very large scale steamer to own, without much of the complexity involved in caring for a more accurately modelled design, and at a much lower cost - a 50%+ saving on any half size waggon, let alone three quarter size! The chimney detaches so it will fit comfortably in a regular sized garage - my garage is actually smaller than a normal one and it still fits fine.

OIRO £25k for everything above, with deposit for body sides transferable for an additional £500 as stated. I would consider a vintage tractor in part ex - makes considered are Ferguson, Massey Ferguson and Fordson only, any condition.

Please contact me via PM, or at jameslit(at)yahoo.co.uk or 07803821323 - call or text anytime, if I don't answer I will call you back ASAP.

A brand new 5ft push pole is also available with it at £80 although it can be pushed due to its low weight. If you have a sizeable area you may need to move it around in, you may be interested in a Lansing-Bagnall electric tug and relevant charger I have available quite cheaply. Minor work is needed to it, replacing battery leads (cheap) and topping the cells up (5L deionised water included) but it is in good condition otherwise, will pull very strongly and is a perfect fit for the aforementioned pushpole. It also has one of the loudest electric horns I've ever heard!

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net...31&oe=5EB596B9
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...24&oe=5EB638CE
https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c4&oe=5EB73763
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f3&oe=5EB67F60

JamesLit 7th May 2020 05:26 PM

Some changes:

Rather than offering the deposit for the body sides, I will simply offer the timer. I have paid the difference in price and now have about £700 of timber cut to size for the work to be done. You can pay the remaining total on the job (approx £550-600) to have the work done by the carpenter here, or you can simply take the timbers with you.

I'm planning to do some work when I get the opportunity, including a new gauge glass and some other bits.

I will also offer a discount for the money I would have spent doing other jobs like fitting an injector etc to give you a bit of breathing space to help cover that work.

Would now prefer not to part-ex unless it's something fairly easy to sell!

JamesLit 2nd June 2020 03:52 PM

Reduced to £23.5k ONO, sale includes all as above, including the £700 of timber I had cut to size for the body work to be done.

If it doesn't sell soon, I will remove it from sale, get it rally and road run ready within the next couple of months, and get it back up for sale at a higher price around summer/autumn.