Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted Adverts (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Lister CS6/1 wanted (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=40124)

geo 14th January 2017 08:01 PM

Lister CS6/1 wanted

I had no luck with the 750rpm electric motor for my Samuel Platt blacksmiths hammer so I thought I might try running it with a Lister CS6/1, Anybody got one needing minor restoration ?

John White

Snowy 14th January 2017 08:11 PM

Try Ebay usually on there There is a 6/1 on now under lister CS

HERCULES 9068 16th January 2017 01:26 PM

What kind of self commencer do you require ?

Also if you dismantle the pump, look out for monkeys, they'll steal anything !

Samuel Platt.................................

geo 16th January 2017 01:34 PM

A kangaroo makes a far better pet, you can adapt them like so they will data bit of bread and butter.

HERCULES 9068 16th January 2017 04:19 PM

What's bread and butter got to do with a self commencer ?

I usually have sliced granary,

Possibly with sea scopium paste,

Samuel Platt...........................

carl_byrne 16th January 2017 04:58 PM

I am missing out . . . I want what ever you are all taking!

Cheers Carl.

geo 16th January 2017 06:15 PM

It's a well known fact that you can get your kangaroo to eat bread and butter with his hands whereas you can't make anything of a monkey, if you have your magneto in pieces he will steal your parts.

Proff 16th January 2017 06:59 PM

Stand back you Boys!! The elephant's about to make water!!!

Any Old Iron 16th January 2017 07:53 PM

And i aint going along with it

Any Old Iron 16th January 2017 08:01 PM

The man said Fowlers were built altogether wrong and i um sure he were spot on, that man with the felt at

HERCULES 9068 17th January 2017 10:04 AM

When do you see a Fowler with a broken axle ?......................................

HERCULES 9068 17th January 2017 10:17 AM

I once listened to a rubber band,.................... and I saw a needle wink his eye......................

HERCULES 9068 17th January 2017 04:36 PM

Anyway......................back to Lister engines,.................

I once knew a man who had a Lister Junior , he couldn't get it to start,

It had no belt pulleys, so he was able to put the starting handle on either side, he had the handle on the wrong side and was winding it the wrong way !

When he wound it the right way, it started perfectly !

CHUG......CHUG...........

Proff 17th January 2017 08:37 PM

Me, Charlie D, Robin and several other hairy arsed tin miners spent a whole afternoon trying to start a concrete batching plant fitted with a Petter engine - late on in the afternoon and after several phone calls to the hire company we discovered we had a Lister self commencer. A quick tweek of the pawl inside so we could wind the engine the correct way and away she went. We never made that mistake again!!

PS I have an Armstong Sidley single cylinder diesel in need of rather a lot of TLC if you're interested John.

geo 18th January 2017 09:58 AM

Unfortunately I am only conversant with the Lister type commencer, I have an old Winget mixer with a ST1 as original equipment, we built the whole shell of a three bedroom house on less than a gallon of cherry, She starts first time every time.

John

geo 18th January 2017 10:01 AM

I forgot to add that when she starts I feel compelled to do a little dance,

John

HERCULES 9068 18th January 2017 11:53 AM

John,
Do you do the "Gay Gordon" dance ?

Or are you strictly " Disco " ?

Samuel Platt.........................

geo 19th January 2017 09:09 PM

No, actually its the dirty diesel dance.

John

00000 20th January 2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERCULES 9068 (Post 379118)
Anyway......................back to Lister engines,.................

I once knew a man who had a Lister Junior , he couldn't get it to start,

It had no belt pulleys, so he was able to put the starting handle on either side, he had the handle on the wrong side and was winding it the wrong way !

When he wound it the right way, it started perfectly !

CHUG......CHUG...........

This is the best thread i've seen on here for ages!
How many years did he wind it the wrong way before he twigged?

geo 20th January 2017 09:22 PM

Of all l the felt hats I've ever felt I've never felt a felt hat like this felt hat felt, felt.felt.

I wonder if Mr Beeching would be kind enough to post a picture of the Sea Scopium hook that I commissioned for him.

John

aka geo, ( Gentleman engine owner. )

00000 20th January 2017 09:46 PM

Ha! well we know you're a gentleman John. A hook made out of a sea scorpium , that would be a sight to see!

geo 21st January 2017 09:20 PM

Jim, not a hook made out of a sea scorpium , a hook for catching a sea SCOPIUM, they are as big as a ships sailing cloth, they have a frogs head and they are all gold.

Tony Beeching has such fishing tackle.

John

Any Old Iron 22nd January 2017 07:12 AM

Yes i have all the relative equipment to go scopium fishing but i have no boat.

Ladies and gentlemen i am about to build a boat, i have 1000's of rivets to put in and i am going to have to work real hard to finish it for the Spring of the year. This boat will have two forward speeds, hatchways and gangways. It will weigh about 9 tonnes and will be semi-submarine fashion. Looking for crew - Steve Gunn and John White have already offered their services. Gentlemen traction engine owner and sea scopium enthusiast

Proff 22nd January 2017 07:47 AM

Flippers at the ready boys! When do we start?? :p

geo 22nd January 2017 09:24 AM

Hello gents,

Obviously extreme caution has to be exercised whilst Sea Scopium fishing, If you were to see one under the water while the sun was shining bright you would see his eyes stick out a bit bulge fashion,if you try to winch him up to see if he is any good you may be frightened and decide not to disturb that lot in case he drags you under the water.

Anyway, we now have a plan for our semi- submarine vessel, we have experienced plate flangers and riveters,Mr Green can provide his blacksmithing expertise. Ideally it should be steam powered but as we have to be ready by the spring of the year maybe a Lister CS6/1 would do as a substitute, anybody got one?

Johnny

00000 22nd January 2017 04:20 PM

I think eveyone should drink a bottle of wine before they come on here !
There was a class of steam submarines in the First World War or just before. They had too many holes in them!

HERCULES 9068 24th January 2017 02:37 PM

I've got a set of castings in stock for a Stuart 6a compound marine engine, ( I really have ), perhaps I could get it all made before the Scopium hunters boat is ready ?

Then we'll need a propellor...................

geo 24th January 2017 05:52 PM

Oh yes, that engines alright,

Any Old Iron 24th January 2017 06:53 PM

yea engines all right yea engines all right

Proff 24th January 2017 09:42 PM

Of course the engine was alright, he was referring to a BB1.

By the way CS6/1 denotes - 'C' Scopium 6 feet 1 fathom :confused:

carl_byrne 24th January 2017 11:34 PM

All mad as hatters!!

Cheers Carl.

geo 25th January 2017 08:11 AM

Mr Gunn,

I have to disagree re. Fowler BB1, everybody knows thy're built altogether wrong, the winch drum ought not be underneath, thy're built any old how, that John Fowler was an ignorant man he was ignorant as a pig.

Geo

Proff 25th January 2017 10:23 AM

Well, you have upset me now, I'm off to find my old WW2 gas mask and impersonate an elephant.

geo 25th January 2017 08:10 PM

Mr Gunn,

As usual you're all in a fog.

HERCULES 9068 27th January 2017 04:20 PM

As we are all coming out of europe....................

Do we still have fishing rights to trawl for the sea scopium ?

I could make a fishing hook if I had a sketch of it,

I could also make a clonking iron to stun it after it's caught,

You could stun it with a Wallis and Stevens ash pan rake................. Probably be a bit flimsy ...............just like a Wallis engine.

A Fowler rake would do a better job , probably take two men to lift it though !

What about an Aveling ashpan rake ? Trouble is an Aveling driver is too busy throwing coal into his boiler to have any time to stun a scopium, ( Aveling and Porter, coal and water )........................( see what I did there...........it rhymes )

Tasker tractors....................... probably have an ash pan rake same size as a Mamod................too small.

Mclaren ash pan rake ? Anyone got the phone number of Baldwin crane hire ?

How about a Zettlemeyer ash pan rake ?..................YUK.............Dont even go there,

A Garrett ? same as a Wallis................

I know, let's use a Burrell ash pan rake to stun the scopium, It would be sleek, stylish, well designed, ergonomic ( if you know what that means ) , well painted , and well engineered, just like a Burrell engine,

If we needed to haul the scopium up the beach, we could have a Burrell in front to pull the load, and a Fowler on the back to make all the noise !!

PS, Chris Edmonds once told me If both a road loco and a 5 ton tractor run over your foot.............You'll find there is very little difference between them !!!!!

00000 27th January 2017 10:25 PM

Richard, thats very good for 5.20 pm.

Proff 28th January 2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERCULES 9068 (Post 379680)
As we are all coming out of europe....................

Do we still have fishing rights to trawl for the sea scopium ?

I could make a fishing hook if I had a sketch of it,

I could also make a clonking iron to stun it after it's caught,

You could stun it with a Wallis and Stevens ash pan rake................. Probably be a bit flimsy ...............just like a Wallis engine.

A Fowler rake would do a better job , probably take two men to lift it though !

What about an Aveling ashpan rake ? Trouble is an Aveling driver is too busy throwing coal into his boiler to have any time to stun a scopium, ( Aveling and Porter, coal and water )........................( see what I did there...........it rhymes )

Tasker tractors....................... probably have an ash pan rake same size as a Mamod................too small.

Mclaren ash pan rake ? Anyone got the phone number of Baldwin crane hire ?

How about a Zettlemeyer ash pan rake ?..................YUK.............Dont even go there,

A Garrett ? same as a Wallis................

I know, let's use a Burrell ash pan rake to stun the scopium, It would be sleek, stylish, well designed, ergonomic ( if you know what that means ) , well painted , and well engineered, just like a Burrell engine,

If we needed to haul the scopium up the beach, we could have a Burrell in front to pull the load, and a Fowler on the back to make all the noise !!

PS, Chris Edmonds once told me If both a road loco and a 5 ton tractor run over your foot.............You'll find there is very little difference between them !!!!!

Outstanding, absolutely outstanding Mr Green.........thank you!

geo 28th January 2017 08:42 PM

Re Sea Scopium hook, as I mentioned in a previous post Mr. Beeching has one ready for our expedition in the semi submersible ,

I had an Artisan blacksmith make one for him at a little steam do in Camerton Somerset a few years back.

I have given up on my quest for said Lister for our marine power plant, I believe Charles Burrell once made marine triple expansion engines, I think Mr Green would approve, Start looking.

Johnny

Proff 28th January 2017 09:03 PM

Has anyone seen my spanner??!

HERCULES 9068 29th January 2017 01:25 PM

Is it a Metric spanner , or a proper one ?